Covenant of Respect
Covenant of Respect
COVENANT OF RESPECT – adopted May 17, 2015
“Love your neighbor as you love yourself” – Matthew 22:39
As we walk together in all God’s ways made known or to be made known to us, we seek to discern and do what is best for our church as a whole, not what may be best for individuals or factions (Philippians 2:4). We recognize that conflict and disagreement are normal and natural. We welcome a wide variety of voices and ideas when they are expressed in a way that reflects God’s love. As followers of Jesus Christ we promise to respect each other at all times in the following ways:
- We will approach all things in prayer. (1 Thessalonians 5:17)
- We will speak from our own personal experience. (1 Corinthians 3:16)
- We will speak face-to-face, honestly and without rancor when there is disagreement.(Ephesians 4:15)
- We will listen with an open and non-judgmental mind and try as hard to understand as to be understood. (Proverbs 4:7)
- If we are unable to effectively communicate with each other, we will ask a third party to be present to assist us. (Matthew 18:16)
- We will support the final outcome of the decision-making process. (1 Corinthians 1:10)
- As forgiven people, we will choose to forgive one another. (Luke 11:4)
In the spirit of Jesus, and with God’s help, we will show respect and love in all we do as we journey together.
Love your neighbor as you love yourself – Matthew 22:39
Let each of you look not to your own interests, but to the interests of others.
– Philippians 2:4
…pray without ceasing
– 1 Thessalonians 5:17
Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you?
– 1 Corinthians 3:16
But speaking the truth in love, we must grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, – Ephesians 4:15
The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom, and whatever else you get, get insight.
– Proverbs 4:7
But if you are not listened to, take one or two others along with you, so that every word may be confirmed by the evidence of two or three witnesses. – Matthew 18:16
Now I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you be in agreement and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same purpose. – 1 Corinthians 1:10
And forgive us our sins, for we ourselves forgive everyone indebted to us. – Luke 11:4a